Monday, April 22, 2013

Week 1 Letter - I'm a Flippin Missionary


Ok my friends and family! Well it's my first p-day and i've been here for 6 days!
Things i have learned at the MTC
1: the food is NOT that good yeah you can eat as much as you want but when the potatoes taste like plastic and there never give you enough gravy how much would you really eat?? I have survived off of french fries and raspberry lemonade:]
2: I can see why people would compare the mtc to prison but for realsies this place is so so so awesome!! i have felt the spirit stronger here than i ever have in my life! I feel like i never even know what day it is because everyday is sunday on steroids.
3: I have been given the nickname the temptress from my district hahahaha and i know that sounds bad but really listen first, so an elder in my district was holding open the door at dinner and i was already pushing it open, well my hand ACCIDENTALLY hit his and i swear this poor boy was in shock the rest of the night. haha i haven't laughed that hard in a long time but really he compared it to when Nephi touched laman and lemuel... a little dramatic? i Can't wait til he's a super awkward boy off of his mission... hahahaha ah yeah.
4: You can't let your highs get you too high and your lows get you too low.  Saturday was a pretty rough day for me the thought kept coming into my head you should just got home, it was that alllll day. so by that night i was just trying to keep it together, well a teacher pulled me aside and after our conversation i felt even worse, i knew she had had good intentions but honestly she made me feel like crap.  She tried to talk to me about ballet and how i'll be dance in heaven for as long as i want and woof. haha i just wanted her to save her wise words for somebody else.  BUT on sunday seriously, it was the best sunday ever.  A lady named Mary Edmunds came and talked in relief society and she is the bomb!! she held up her mission journal and said this journal is 776 pages long, she then took probably the first 50 pages and held them up, she then said this is all i would have if i had gone home while at the MTC. Boom, that was all i needed.  I think it would be so selfish of me to come for 5 days and call it quits, i have learned sooo much and been completely blown away. I really can't wait to see what the rest of my mission has in store for me.
5: My companion is Sister Garlick, haha and while Pat may have said she's obnoxious or loud, i love this girl.  She's actually really easy for me to get along with and we're doing pretty well together! The first night we got here they actually make you teach. THE VERY FIRST NIGHT.  It was so hard but at one point we were teaching an old man and suddenly he just turned to me and said you've been pretty quiet, but you've been smiling, tell me what you think. I actually had a moment to share my testimony with him and it was so cool!  At times i'll be sitting there thinking oh crap i have no idea what to say or do but before i know it my heart starts pounding and words and just waiting to come out.  I love the spirit so much.  I love that moment when you can look someone in the eyes and just tell them what you know is true and they feel it too!
6: Our sister training leader sister cardona is seriously one of the coolest girls  I have ever met. She was converted when she was 14 and seriously on the first day we were instantly best friends, i think it kinda bugs our companions a little bit cuz we are always trying to find each other, but hey i can't help it if i like the girl!
7: YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TOUCH THE ELDERS... hahaha oopsies. were not even allowed to give high fives but hey old habits die hard.  We all went up to walk around the temple yesterday and Sister Garlick said holy crap sometimes i hate being your companion cuz all the elders just flock to you and ignore me.  This kinda made me feel weird because i didn't really think about it.  I just do my thing and if people wanna be around me that's cool haha i don't mean to make others feel intimidated or ignored. (funny story with this our zone leader Elder Fowler came and started talking to me on the 2nd day or something and now it's this huge joke that this boy is crushing on me) Weird stuff. i'm a missionary i don't have time for that!! Oh you're also not allowed to call them Homies, homeboy, pal, guys, NOTHING only elders, so it's kinda been hard switching from my normal slang to only calling people sister or elder.
8: My teachers are the man!! I have brother bonner and brother vea, one is black and one is poly and man they just can't get ya in tune with the spirit so easily.  While it's kinda been hard to sit in a class for hours and hours and just study i have actually found the time goes by pretty fast.  The scriptures seriously are INCREDIBLE. I wish that i had just taken the time to really pray about them and study them before i left.
 
 
Well yeah that about sums things up i think.... Life is good:] of course there are some bumps in this here road i have decided to take but hey i'm loving it. I really do love it and i hope this becomes my new passion:] I can't wait to get out there and give em heaven! I love you all and Hope things are still kickin in Hooper:] 
ps mom send this around it's for anyone that wants to read it!!
 
Love, Sister Bowden

No comments:

Post a Comment