Monday, October 28, 2013

Week 28 - Oh Yeah, It Says A Lot of Things In That Book . . .

Hey my great family:]

I hope that everyone is doing so good and just loving life! This past week i had some really great, funny, weird moments... so typical right?
 
This past Tuesday we had zone conference which is always a good spiritual boost when you're feeling down. They talked a lot on how we need to get creative in ways of finding people to teach. I'm not gonna give all my good ideas yet, but once things start coming together i'll shed some light on how sometimes ya gotta think outside the box to find people that the lord has prepared! We met with Ricardo 3 times this past week! He's a pretty great guy, haha ok he's kinda a pot head but he does keep meeting with us so i can't be too upset. After our first lesson with him he texted us that night saying thank you. I told him it was what we were there for and he said I really appreciated when you said we all have a purpose and meaning to being here. that really makes a lot of sense to me. Here's the thing with Ricardo, he really is so prepared he'll say things that our gospel has, i'll show him that basically his same thoughts are in the book of mormon, but he's a little confused on God. he thinks that God is some-thing.. not some-one. I know though that as we continue to meet with him it's gonna start clicking. There was a moment when i was sharing my testimony about the book of mormon and he turned to combs and said wow she's pretty serious about this.. YES i am. i love the book of mormon, i know that if you read it it can bring so much peace, happiness, and comfort into your life. 
 
That night we had dinner with a family in the ward and can i just say i love how awkwardly funny my companion is. hahah we were sitting there eating dinner and the kids were saying something about either being in a play or just sticking to their studies and awkwardly Combs says... just.. listen to your heart. haha it was so cheesy and so awkward and i busted out laughing but the family just sat there in silence. I think it probably was a you had to be there kinda thing. 
 
oh! so this past week we were coming to our stake center to do some training and the family history ladies were here. i'm just gonna be honest every time i think about family history i think oh woof. i'd rather poke my eyes out. but listen. So the lady starts talking to us about it and showing us the new website la la la. I started just clicking around and looking at things when i came across a name that said all of his temple work wasn't done. I click some more and come to find out all of his is done, so is his wife's but there is one daughter in their family who hasn't had any of her ordinances performed! It was the coolest thing that everyone in their family has their temple work done but not her! So next time we go to the temple i'm taking Mabel Webb's name with me. I'M SO EXCITED! first of all because her name is freakin Mabel! haha (reminds me of a cow) and second of all because now when i go it's gonna have a lot more meaning to me personally. Long story short: family work is pretty neat my friends. So sorry mom for being a knucklehead about indexing... i see now why you were wanting me to do it:]
 
We got a referral from the church this past week which honestly rarely happens. The lady's name is Ziznedth Kelly... yeah still i can't pronounce her first name. At first she wasn't too excited to see us, but when we told her we'd love to help her with her yard and la la la she warmed right up to us and invited us in. She has a blind weenie dog. haha but yes we're helping sister kelly with her yard and i know that by serving her it's going to open a lot of doors for us:]
 
SATURDAY! TODD HENKE GOT BAPTIZED:] ah man, it literally put me on cloud 9. Mama blattman came down to pick up me and Combs and as we were driving i just sat and thought man, this feels like home. I got the warmest of welcomes from the ward and a lot of we miss you's! It was incredible. This past week to be honest there were moments when i couldn't help but think what is the point of all of this? Well saturday night was the best reminder of why i do this. It reminded me a lot of ballet actually, on a day to day basis you think things like: freak i hate ballet, my body hurts, the teacher hates me, this is pointless. Then comes performance time and all you remember is why you love it so dang much. I love missionary work. I love that the Henke family is set on the path to be together forever. I love that i got to spend a night with not only mama b but also with TAU! it was an awesome reunion:] the spirit was so strong. Todd got up at the end to share his testimony and he had actually written a poem. who knew he was a closet poet? When we got home that night i went to bed thinking heck, i love my mission.
 
 
 How do I begin, where do I start
Fifteen years ago a Mormon woman captured my heart
Little did I know I would be standing here today
Teary eyed, forgiven, wiped clean, the Holy Ghost found a way
Our family began with a little baby boy
Cameron's his name and oh what a joy
Then came a test, a test like no other
a pregnancy cut short for Dad and for Mother
Its time to begin your greatest test on this earth
For today I present you with Joel's miracle birth
Doctors weren't sure if he would live or he would die
But we prayed and prayed that we would not have to say goodbye
Our lives were changed forever that day
The Lord was with us every step of the way
What happens next was for sure a long shot
For we wanted a girl to mix up the pot
Our sweet dear Allyson, what a blessing was she
We thought for sure it was going to be boy number three
A sweet little girl who brings joy to our life
Her smile and her laughter and everything nice
Logan would join us from a life lived before
Little did we know that soon that would be no more
My dear son Logan a child was he
When darkness prevailed our eyes didn't see
That painful memory still haunts us to this day
But with God’s plan of forgiveness, I know his sin can be washed away
Torn was the family from head to toe
That life again as we knew it was starting to go
Mom and Dad, brothers too
Turned their backs on my family without a clue
Still to this day our life is the same
Not one word of I'm sorry too much pain
I felt like an apple thrown out to rot
Everywhere I turned, life seemed to be an empty lot
The church I grew up knowing, learning, and supporting
Seemed a far cry from what Luther taught in his writings
The people seemed cold, distant, and sometimes rude
Not what I expected from a church that I gave my life to
There were many times that Michelle did suggest
That we at least try LDS
I did go a few times but to no ones surprise
You don't get very far only after a few tries
Then along came two sisters on bikes nonetheless
I thought to myself could they have the right address
Bowden and Tau, strong in their convictions
Knowing full well their life changing intentions
They started teaching week after week
The kids actually looked forward to hearing them speak
The gospel restored, Baptism talks
That's when it hit me, the LDS sisters rock
Boys were baptized, the Spirit received
Follow in their footsteps, I believe
With my future secure and the Holy Spirit near
I now know that I have nothing to fear
Thank you to all who have shown us the way
You've given us a path back to Heavenly Father's stay
And to my wife who never lost sight
            We’ll be sealed forever in eternal light.
 


Im so grateful to be out serving a mission. I'm so so grateful that Heavenly father hears and answers my prayers. It's not always instantaneously, but man it always seems to be right when i need it the most:] Last night when we hopped into the car for dinner the lady said oh by the way my husband isn't a member. Instantly in my mind i'm thinking oh heck what's plan b for our lesson then? We typically have been sharing the same lesson with all the members on missionary work. So all throughout dinner i'm thinking crap, i don't know anything about them really. I said a prayer in my head and just asked Heavenly Father what can i share with this family? Boom, the thought came. That lesson was one of the most inspired moments i've had on my mission. I know that we just need to rely on our Heavenly Father. It's all Him and with the help of the Holy Ghost, man we are set:] 
 
I love you guys so much! Thank you for all the love and suppport you give me:] oh and freak, have a happy halloween!! i'm so bummed that i can't be there to eat all the candy with you:]

Love, Sister Bowden 

No comments:

Post a Comment